A different vision Training Educator L2 BBEA
By Arend Hoiting
Level 4 Specialist Trainer
In my educational career as an English teacher at a secondary school in the Netherlands, one of my roles was the supervision of English students from the University of Groningen (UG). This was with regards to their English degree (Masters) for the pedagogical/didactic certificate to be allowed to teach as a qualified English teacher at a secondary school. These students followed an internship at our school for a year (one day a week) and the goal was as described above “to develop their pedagogical and didactic skills”.
Many of our pupils used our “Special Needs Department” because of their psychological problems such as: fear of failure, negative self-image, lack of confidence, etc.
I also guided many students from the University of Groningen, who were doing an internship with regard to the psychological components “fear and confidence” which relate to each other as two communicating vessels.
Since 2009/2010, as a Buteyko Specialist, in addition to the Buteyko breathing method, I also paid a lot of attention to the guidance of my own clients with heart disease, COPD, problems sleeping, sleep apnoea, chronic hyperventilation, etc. It is striking that in most clients we see anxiety, despair and especially increasing chronic stress due to their psychological complaint pattern.
By following a course by Misha Sakharoff with regards to cancer, which started last year and which I completed in May of this year, the notion that not only normal breathing is important, but that other aspects can also make a major contribution to the health of every human being has been strengthened. I fully endorse his integrated approach. Exercise (stimulates and activated the metabolism and improves cellular dysfunction), a stress reduction system is essential (Misha calls this the 1P attention, mindfulness), and one’s diet etc. are important components for health. A statement by Buteyko himself: “man was created to move” illustrates once again a lifestyle component. Little exercise causes fatigue, a lot of moderate exercise (walking and cycling) keeps you fit.
The core aspects of the training are
- An integrated training instead of just improving breathing.
- Development of the pedagogical and didactic skills of the future BBEA Educator L2.
- A lot of attention will also be paid to the empathetic attitude of the Educator. The trust of the client is partly dependent on the empathetic attitude of the Buteyko Specialist. No attention is paid to this in medical training. Enthusiasm is a very good characteristic!
The training program
The training consists of 10 sessions. Each session takes about 4 hours.
- 1st session: Breathing as the beginning of all life processes. Disruption of the metabolic process and reactions of the body: western diseases such as cardiovascular diseases, COPD, etc. that are referred to within the Buteyko vision as protective reactions. The function and roll of CO2 (carbon dioxide). Explanation of measurements and exercises and intake forms.
- 2nd session: Function phenomenon stress and the serious and life-threatening consequences of chronic stress. Explanation integrated vision. Attitude of future Educator towards complaints of clients where mainly the psychological components of fear and trust are looked at. Clients should feel safe with their Buteyko Specialist.
- 3rd session: The future Educator will have to provide the first session in the individual process. Preferably the 1st lesson where the complaints are listened to, the content of the course is discussed, measurements are explained, intake, three Buteyko exercises must be taught. Debriefing in which the “client” will not be present.
- 4th session: The phenomenon cancer: what is cancer, the onset and treatment of cancer according to the regular medical vision. The main cause of cancer according to the 7-year scientific research by the University of Leuven (Belgium). Misha Sakharoff’s vision regarding the onset of cancer and his integrated treatment method. The role of breathing in the onset and treatment of cancer.
- 5th session: The future Educator gives a group lesson to a max. of 6 people. Brief explanation Buteyko vision. Explanation measurements. Learning basic exercise and the didactic approach to learning to speak again: 2 methods regarding the inhalation through the nose. Debriefing in which the “6 clients” are not present.
- 6th session: Future vision Buteyko breathing method as complimentary therapy. The substantial change in the relationship between doctor and patient in Western society. The patient is no longer passive but also thinks about the treatment. The provision of information comes not only from the medical specialist but also from the internet.
- 7th session: Future educator gives a lecture and answers questions from a group (about 10 people) following the lecture. The content of the lecture should be about the relationship between the regular method and the complementary Buteyko method. It is very gratifying that medical specialists in the Netherlands are willing to send patients to Buteyko Specialists. These are not incidents, but seem to be a structural policy.
- 8th session: Emergence of Phytology as a scientific method. EU proposal to give Phytology a university status.
- 9th session: All aspects of hyperventilation. Regular therapy in hospitals/turning point by medical specialist group Lifestyle 4Health in the Netherlands in collaboration with the TNO.
- 10th session: Evaluation
Buteyko Noord Nederland
Ter Borch 16
9492 RB Zuidlaren
T : 050-4093448
lid Vereniging van Buteyko Therapeuten ( V.B.T. )
member of the Buteyko Breathing Educators Association ( MBBEA ) L4 Educator and Specialist Trainer
member ( fellow ) of the Buteyko Professionals International ( BPI )